Google Chromebook is one of the newest editions by Google into the world of technology and it has already achieved huge popularities among users due to its exclusive features and usability. However, Google has always tried to make new and innovative products which are not just mere updates of previous versions of the technologies. When they had launched this new device, they tried to input some special features that can help users to some extents while they will be using it. Because of their innovative contribution, the whole idea about personal computing system, laptops and hardware has been changing in a steady pace.
However, this Google Chromebook is operated through the Chrome Operating System which is a little bit different from any regular form of notebooks. In this operating system, installing any kind of software, anti-virus and data base backs will always be updated on the cloud services that have been offered by Google. Though, all the headlines are related to the working capability of this device and its operating system. Many of the IT executives and business owners are still in doubt about the functional capability of the chrome book whether it can add significant benefit to their workforce.
There are some beneficial features that can contribute efficiently on the management system of respective offices and IT sectors.
These features are listed below:
- Chromebook is really fast in speed and it has the capability of booting the operating system within 8 seconds and connecting to the Wi-Fi or broadband Internet connection. This will certainly save valuable time whenever it is used for office work.
- Chromebook has also offered 3G broadband Internet service with the availability of 100 MB bandwidth for free. This offer is established in the USA and Europe.
- Long battery longevity that will help to work for a long period of time.
- Chromebook has launched a new model for business perspective that includes the device, hardware warranty, phone support, and a web-based management console to help the IT executives for managing all the devices in a specified network. Moreover, the OS will get updated on a regular basis which will contribute more in efficacy on the management system.
- If you are worried about the applications, personal documents and settings management, you will not have to do that as all of the applications and documents will be regularly stored in the cloud service.
- You can easily get access to any of the features from anywhere like applications, photos, games, music, personal documents and movies.
- Anti-virus has been installed in the operating system already. So you will not have to spend time for installing and updating the security system.
- If you are annoyed of getting messages for the update of applications, you will not have to bother while having the Chromebook. It will automatically update all the applications whenever it will need to do that.
Chromebook VPN- a new addition
In recent time, Google has recently announced of adding a new feature that should have been added at the time of launching the device. However, the newest addition of Chromebook is the virtual private network aka VPN service. This service will certainly help users to get a secured remote access to their institutional or corporate networks.
A VPN is a specified private virtual network that usually utilizes the network of the Internet service in order to connect several remote sites or users efficiently. It also allows users sharing their private information to different locations in a secured manner. Moreover, it helps to encrypt all the data traffic and authenticate them through a secured VPN tunnel while transferring to different server locations. If you prefer to prevent all the unauthorized accesses while transferring the database and information, VPN service will be the ideal choice for sure in order to make the whole process smooth and secured.
However, Google has claimed to provide full VPN support for its newest device Chromebooks and also explained that it will work on its full function without creating any sort of problem for the users. Though, VPN service was already in the Chromebook, but it was there as an experimental tool. In short, Chromebook VPN was not in an ideal shape and it required more systemic update to make it more efficient for the users. Now things got changed and users can easily work with VPN service efficiently than previous times. However, the addition of VPN service into the Chromebook was introduced due to frequent requests from business owners and other individuals. The available form of Chromebook can support L2TP or IPSec with pre shared key service. Besides, other protocols like SSL or OpenVPN, PPTP are not supported in this device and this lacking will be sorted out in the next addition of Chromebook where users will get full VPN support with every popular type of protocols.
Setting up a Chromebook VPN
If you prefer to build up a secured L2TP or IPSec connection with the Chromebook VPN service on Chromebook device, you will need to follow some instructions in order to make it possible. Some of the important guidelines are posted below:
- Step 1: You will have to locate the network icon at the top right corner of the screen of your Chromebook.
- Step 2: You will be able to get a list which will open up after clicking on the icon and you will have to locate icon named “Add Private Network” and click on the option for activating the private network service.
- Step 3: After activating the private network, you will see an option of L2TP/ IPSec connection appearing in to the screen and this option will be similar like iPhone or iPad device. In the option menu, you will need to put some information in order to make the connection activated.
Server Hostname: You will need to provide the information of server’s hostname and this information will be provided by your VPN service provider. This is required in order to get the connection setup for the particular server that you preferred to have. Therefore, you will need to verify the information whether the server’s hostname is for the L2TP/IPSec connection or not.
Name of the Service: You can put any name of your wish. It really does not matter on how you name it for the connection. You will need to make sure that the service name is unique and whenever you will add a new type of VPN service, you can differentiate the name in order to understand the VPN service type.
Pre Shared key: This specific key will also be provided by your VPN service provider or the network administration who has managed to provide you a dedicated VPN service or a shared one for the organization. After getting the information about the key, just put the information into that particular portion. A point to be noted here is that, this pre shared key is not your password.
Username: Enter the username that has been provided by your VPN service provider.
Password: Enter the VPN password that has been given to you by your VPN service provider.
After completing all the steps, you will have to select the option called “Click on connect” to activate your Chromebook VPN service. However, L2TP or IPSec is much better than other popular protocols like PPTP or SSL as it can provide more secured online outing for the users while surfing through the Internet world. Moreover, it can provide better encryption system than the other ones.
VPN service on Chromebook will certainly protect from unwanted accessing through the remote servers and it will provide adequate security while using the Internet from the public Wi-Fi hotspots. Therefore, it will create more acceptability among the Chromebook users as it can be able to provide adequate online security and privacy while running business through online business or using for personal reasons.
Best VPN for Chromebook:
There are several VPN service providers available in the market and these huge numbers makes it a difficult task for the users to choose from the list. If you are using the Chromebook device, you will need to make sure that the preferred VPN service has the capability of supporting the L2TP/IPSec protocol in order to make the connection. Although, most of the top charted VPN service providers have the features of supporting the L2TP/IPSec protocol.
Moreover, you will have to make sure that, the service can provide you with the desired security and privacy for your personal or business use of internet. It is really important for any users to get an adequate online security in order to protect their personal or business related information from hackers or spammers. However, most of the popular VPN services can provide high class security services for their customers. Therefore, no information can be leaked out into the cyber space. If you prefer to have a secured and speedy connection between computers of your business office, then VPN service will be the best choice for you. They will provide a secure network for connecting different computer into a specific network of a business related organization. For personal usage, if you like to get access into those geo-restricted websites from your Chromebook, VPN service will provide you the chance of accessing into those websites without facing any sort of blocking by the network administrators of those particular websites.
The list below talks about five such providers that will provide you the best VPN for Chromebook.
|Rank||Provider||Starting Price||Visit Provider Site|
|1||Hidemyass||$6.55/ Month||Visit Provider Site|
|2||ExpressVPN||$8.32/Month||Visit Provider Site|
|3||StrongVPN||$21/ 3 Months||Visit Provider Site|
|4||IAPS||$8.32/Month||Visit Provider Site|
|5||VyprVPN||$14.95/Month||Visit Provider Site|